H.D. Thoreau Biography

By Stanley Switalski


Good afternoon. I do not wish to force my thoughts upon you, but I feel forced myself. Although I know little of Captain Brown, I would fain do my part to correct the tone and statements of the media. We can at least express our sympathy with, and admiration of, him and his companions, which is what I plan to do now.

Captain Brown was an old-fashioned man in his respect for the Constitution. A man of great common sense, he deemed slavery to be wholly opposed to the Constitution and he was its determined foe. He was a man of Spartan habits and used his passion to attempt to make a change.

As for his recent failure, we do not know the facts about it. It was evidently far from being a wild and desperate attempt. His enemy is compelled to say, “it was among the best planned and executed conspiracies that ever failed.” Yet the government still seeks to punish him and his men, criticizing not their purpose, but their tactics.

I have read all the newspapers I could get within a week after this event, and I do not remember a single expression of sympathy for these men. He was a superior man. No other man in America has ever stood up so persistently and effectively for the dignity of human nature. I would rather see the statue of Captain Brown in the Massachusetts State-House yard, than that of any other man I know. Some eighteen hundred years ago Christ was crucified; this morning Captain Brown was hung. I see now that it is necessary that the bravest and humanist men in all the country should be hung.


Source: A plea for Captain Brown


My reading of "A Plea for Captain Brown"


 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?